Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Idolatry - the root of all conflict?

I'm attending a conference on conflict and reconciliation in Sydney later in the year and I've been given some homework before I arrive. My first task is to read the book 'The Peacemaker' by Ken Sande.

I flicked through it last night and noticed one chapter that talks about idolatry and how it can be the cause of much conflict. It seems to progress in the following order:

I desire
I demand
I judge
I punish

Without reading further, I started thinking about some forms of conflict and how this develops. For example, in family life (say between husband and wife or children), someone desires something - usually for oneself, starts to demand it (with all the subsequent nagging), judges everyone else wrong and cruel if he or she doesn't get their own way, and then punishes through verbal or physical abuse (or even by 'sulking'). Even the 'worship wars' or financial conflicts in many congregations follow a similar pattern.

With this in mind, I can easily see how conflict is often caused by putting oneself or ones' desires first, which is idolatry. In conflict therefore, what is my idol that is causing such offence that I need to repent of? How can I show grace instead of selfishness, mercy instead of punishment, and peace instead of war?

I'm looking forward to reading how the author suggests to deal with conflict in a biblical and Christ-centred manner.

Food for thought...

2 comments:

  1. Interesting idea- yes, I can see how selfish desire can lead to conflict. But sometimes the "I desire" is not selfish at all and may be for something "right" or "good". What then? Avoid conflict or bring it on in the hope of bringing about change for the better?
    Sounds like an interesting course and I hope you will share some of your insights with the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How right you are! We have way too much 'Guns, God and Gottcha' household gods in our American religious communities

    ReplyDelete